The ABE training program consists of two phases, one of on-site training for Science teachers that have been selected through a public call on the platform provided by the Ministry of Education (MIUR), and a second (required) experimental phase to be carried out with students at school. ABE site Italy provides teachers with the educational material and instruments that are necessary for experimentation at school, free of charge, provided that in the host school an adequate scientific laboratory that complies with all safety regulations exists.
The theoretical and experimental training program involves teachers in their formation, in the experimentation with students and in the educational documentation, for a minimum of 60 hours each year.
The ABE training program aims to:
- Analyze in depth knowledge about Biotechnologies, integrating them in a teaching plan that is coherent and functional to their decoding in terms of scientific rigor, potential, and application limits
- Update and innovate the contents and methodologies for the teaching-learning of scientific subjects, in particular through the progressive implementation of inquiry based teaching and learning (IBSE - Inquiry Based Science Education)
- Promote the employment of experimental techniques that require the acquisition of specific skills that are necessary to develop innovative curricula in the field Biotechnologies, and act as a flywheel to stimulate students' interest.
- Spur and sustain international exchanges of views and cooperation with prestigious scientific realities that also have advanced IBSE expertise.
- Support and sustain the development of 1. a program in which ABE is consistent with the National Guidelines, 2. an grading process carried out by teachers through tools that are suitable to the overall educational assessment of students.
- Use the expertise developed by the teachers to introduce inquiry based educational methodologies, conjugated with advanced experimental activities, in order to motivate students to learn scientific subjects, by means of providing them with privileged methodologies, context and confrontation.
- Use the expertise that has been gained by the teachers to introduce inquiry based teaching strategies that are conjugated to advanced experimental activities, in order to motivate students to study scientific subjects, providing them with premium methods, context and discussion opportunities.
- Enkindle and sustain the development of subject expertise, critical thinking and peer cooperation, which are also necessary for their education as active citizens.
Timing: November - May
Location: University of Naples Federico II, Department of Biology